Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chapter 5 Fuselage Sides...check!

Wooo Hoooo!  Here I am...the proud papa of two new fuselage sides.


The final stage of cutting each side to the proper length was nerve racking to say the least.  If you built the sides exactly to plans, it doesn't leave you with much room to trim.  I only had a 1/4" of margin so I was worried that any mistake was going to leave me with a short side I would have to figure out how to fix.  I thought about it and played with different methods for making the cuts for 2 days before doing it.  In the end I believe I have two sides that are the prescribed 101.75" long...and I miraculously seem to still have the 5.5" width in the aft section for the spar cutout.  I ended up using the Fien tool with the multipurpose cutter to do the trimming.  I love it when a plan comes together.

The sides are a little on the heavy side.  I believe them to be about 12.3 lbs each...almost 1 lb heavier than the average (11.5) posted on the Unofficial Cozy Website.  I thought it was more like two lbs at first after measuring on my son's fish scale, but after some checking, I found out the scale was off about a lb at the 10 lb mark.  I don't have another scale that is capable of fractions of a lb up to about 12-15lbs so right now the 12.3 is my best estimate.  The extra weight should be mostly the repair I had to make to the aft section for air specks which added a top layer of BID per repair instructions and some extra UND glass.

Now it starts to get exciting.  I get to take all these smaller parts I've been working on and put them together into on bigger one that actually starts to look like something...maybe not an airplane...but definitely something other than just parts.   Onward & upward.

cab

No comments:

Post a Comment