Saturday, August 24, 2013

Ch 8.1 - 8.5: Headrest - Part 1/2

Ch 8 is fairly short and deals with a few interior details.  It starts with the shoulder support and headrest.

Like many builders, I'm not a big fan of the triangular shaped headrests in the plans.  They serve the purpose I suppose but they look like something that you would find in the Conehead's car.  They just doesn't fit with the rest of the curved design of the Cozy.

For the Baker Cozy, I want shorter headrests that fit

1986 Saab 9000 Turbo Headrests (from John Slade's website)
the styling better.  Looking through other builders blogs, I found a couple of people who used Saab 9000 Turbo headrests from the late 80's.  They look great and they curve down your neck to provide better support.  I'd like to find some of these if I can...or something like them.  (update below)



Until then, I can only cut and assemble the foam for the shoulder support because I need to install whatever mechanism is needed to hold the headrests before I can glass anything.  Here is a pic of the shoulder support assembled with dry wall screws...waiting for me to find some headrests.  I'll create a part II update for this this when I resume work on it.

So for now...I'll press on with steps 6 & 7 of Ch 8.

cab



UPDATE: (08/24/13...yea..same day I know)  I got to searching the internet for Saab headrests and could not locate the 9000 versions like the ones above anywhere...I think they're just too old.  I did however find some similar ones from an 03 Saab 9-5 and went ahead and bought them off Ebay...$39 each.  I'm hoping they work out.  They look like they will provide the same kind of neck. and head support and they look much better than the Conehead style IMHO.


No comments:

Post a Comment